Police alert of another attempted assault, release video of possible suspect from Saturday

<p><span>The subject is walking right to left in the frame in the Gator colors in a photo released by Gainesville Police.</span></p>

The subject is walking right to left in the frame in the Gator colors in a photo released by Gainesville Police.

A battery case that occurred on campus early Friday morning has the University Police Department issuing safety precautions to students.

The incident follows two attempted sexual assaults that occurred near the University of Florida campus following last Saturday’s canceled Gators football game.

At about 3 a.m., a UF student and her friend were walking from Midtown to the student’s residence located east of SW 13th Street, according to UPD spokesman Brad Barber.

When the two women were in an area between Library West and Little Hall, a man came from behind the student and grabbed her.

The student turned around, briefly spoke with the man and then punched him in the face.

The man then fled on foot.

About 20 minutes later, the student and her friend called 911.

The suspect is described as being a white male either in his late 20s or early 30s. He is between 6’4’’ and 6’5’’ and around 250 to 260 pounds. He holds a close resemblance to the suspect described in two sexual assault attempts that occurred last Saturday.

In all three cases, the women describe being grabbed by an individual and subsequently battered.

The investigation is ongoing.

UPD strongly urges individuals to remain aware of their surroundings at all times. People should call 911 and report any suspicious activity or individuals immediately.

Barber said it is important to remain in well-lit areas far from bushes, alleys and entryways. If someone is being assaulted, he or she is urged to yell and attract attention to themselves.

At night, Barber said people should avoid walking alone and instead use the Student Nighttime Auxiliary Patrol if on campus, which operates between 6:30 p.m. and 3 a.m.

The Gainesville Police Department, who is working closely with UPD on the assault cases, released video footage of a possible suspect from last Saturday.

GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias said he encourages anyone who went to the game last Saturday to look through personal pictures or videos they took. If they notice someone who matches the description, they are asked to send the images to media@cityofgainesville.org.

Anyone with information should promptly contact UPD or GPD.

The subject is on the sidewalk near the left hand of the frame of a photo released by Gainesville Police.