UF’s Levin College of Law is helping students find jobs.

The college’s Center for Career Development will launch a smartphone application this summer to help law students find employment after graduation. The app didn’t cost any money to create and will be free to download.

Rob Birrenkott, the assistant dean for career development and a co-creator of the app, said the app could be used to inform students about networking opportunities, such as job fairs.  

Birrenkott said he developed the app with the help of a student advisory committee. Together they partnered with LawSmith, a company that specializes in software that serves the legal community. 

They got the idea for the app after several students asked what they need to be doing right now to get a job, Birrenkott said. 

“The app shows students what they should be doing right now, whether they’re a first-year student or a third-year student,” he said.  

Chris Champion, a third-year law student, said he’s known law students who have struggled to find jobs.

“Finding a job in the legal field right now is very difficult,” the 25-year-old said. “This app will certainly make that process easier.”