Students to receive gloves for Sat. game

Orange and blue face paint? Check.

Foam finger? Check.

Blue medical gloves? Check that one, too.

Thanks to a UF freshman, 500 students will receive blue gloves when the doors open at 11 a.m. for Saturday's men's basketball game against Mississippi State University.

The gloves will amplify the wearers' applause and Gator chomps.

The idea came from Lucas Dolengowski, a 19-year-old telecommunication major and avid sports fan.

He attended his first Gators basketball game as a student last week, when the Gators beat Louisiana State University.

The audience produced a lot of noise while the team played defense, he noticed, but not when it played offense.

He knew exactly how to improve the spirit in the student section: gloves.

"The Rowdy Reptiles are a great student section, but it is our goal to make the O'Connell Center one of the toughest places to play in the nation," said Alicia Longworth, a spokeswoman for the University Athletic Association, in an email.

If all the students in the lower level wear the blue gloves, the arena will sound and look good, she said.

The gloves, which were ordered from a local company, are not latex, Longworth said.

She did not answer an emailed question asking how much the gloves cost.

Dolengowski and his friends livened up two basketball games for their Orlando high school's team by wearing gloves, which made their clapping louder. One of Dolengowski's friends came up with the original idea, and the group pulled on their gloves for the state championship.

Dolengowski decided to bring it with him to UF.

"We had about 50 people doing it in my high school [gym]," he said. "But to have like 500 people do it... That's going to sound awesome."

At the encouragement of 23-year-old fifth-year electrical and computer engineering student Jake Sillick, who tweets about UF basketball as RowdyTownMayor, Dolengowski contacted UF's promotions department.

"We all agreed it was unique and would give it a try," Longworth said.

Dolengowski isn't the first person to stumble upon this idea.

Utah State University gave gloves to its student section at last season's final men's basketball game.

Still, Dolengowski said he's a little worried that fans won't understand the point.

Dolengowski has used Twitter and Facebook to spread the word to fans who may be skeptical.

"You're not going to bag on it when you hear what it sounds like," he said.