UF Board of Trustees talk tuition, admissions

Tuition and baby Gators were among topics discussed in UF Board of Trustees committee meetings Thursday.

Although undocumented students’ fight to qualify for in-state tuition has captured the attention of Florida residents and news outlets, the House and Senate versions of bill have caveats that could affect all UF students.

The tuition differential — the maximum amount tuition can be increased per year — could be reduced from 15 percent to 6 percent, said University Relations Vice President Jane Adams. That could mean less revenue for the university, but it’s not a major concern because the state is expected to give UF money for projects like the Newell Hall revamp.

“President (Bernie) Machen’s position on tuition differential has been: It’s great to have it there, in case we need to use it, but the amount that we need to charge for tuition depends upon the amount of aid that the state gives us,” Adams said.

The state-mandated annual inflation adjustment — which raised tuition 1.7 percent last year — could also be eliminated.

In a separate meeting, Vice President for Enrollment Management and Associate Provost Zina Evans gave data about UF’s new freshmen. Decisions came out Feb. 14.

UF admitted almost 13,000 people. Their average GPA was 4.4 and average SAT score 1960.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 3/28/2014 under the headline "UF trustees talk tuition, admissions"]