After a long day of crying, napping and getting their diapers changed, nothing soothes tired babies like a bottle of milk.

But for a Gainesville woman and a child she was taking care of, a glass of red wine landed her in jail and the baby in the hospital.

Monique Hamm, 19, of 2823 NE 14th St., was arrested and charged Wednesday with aggravated child abuse when she failed to help a 20-month-old after the baby finished a glass of Wild Irish Rose wine.

According to a Gainesville Police arrest report, Hamm walked out of a room, leaving the baby alone with a glass of wine within reach. The child grabbed the drink and finished it.

When Hamm returned, she noticed the baby drank the wine but didn’t seek help.

Hamm later put the baby to bed, but after 10 minutes, she returned to find the child vomiting.

A witness inside the house called a relative for help. The relative then called for an ambulance.

The baby was taken to Shands at UF and did not have any injuries.

Police say the baby drank 3 to 4 ounces of wine.

Hamm told police she called for help 40 minutes after she saw the child drank the wine.

Police booked Hamm into Alachua County Jail early Wednesday. She was released later that day.

Contact Chris Alcantara at calcantara@alligator.org.