Details of fatal scooter crash Wednesday night

Marion Rose Harvey lost her life Wednesday night after she was rear-ended while driving her scooter on 34th Street.

The 51-year-old Gainesville woman was stopped in northbound traffic just over a hill near the 34th Street Wall before a Toyota Camry, driven by Rachel Louise Crow, 31, hit her from behind, Gainesville Police spokesman Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email. 

The Camry pushed Harvey into a GMC Sierra pickup truck, driven by Jared Waite Jerrels, 20, which was stopped in front of her.

Harvey still had a pulse when officers arrived, Tobias said. She was given CPR, but because she sustained traumatic injuries, Harvey was later pronounced dead in the emergency room. 

Following the accident, traffic on Southwest 34th Street came to a standstill. The road was closed off between Southwest Second Avenue and Radio Road for a few hours as patrol cars surrounded the scene. 

The street reopened again at about 10:30 p.m.

Tobias said neither alcohol nor speeding appeared to be involved. 

So far this year, there have been 52 scooter crashes in Gainesville, he said, and the majority were during the day. There were a total of 95 scooter crashes in 2012, and last year, there were 68. 

Harvey’s death was the fourth fatal scooter accident since 2008.