UF researchers discover genetic cause of citrus canker

Researchers from the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences at UF have discovered the genetic cause of citrus canker, a contagious disease caused by bacteria that infects citrus trees and makes them lose their fruit and leaves early, which may lead to a cure.

Jeff Jones, a UF professor in plant pathology, and his assistant Yang Hu were part of the team that discovered the gene that citrus canker bacteria, Xanthomonas citri, targets.

“We have now found the susceptible gene, the major gene that can sense the bacteria pathogens,” Hu said.

The goal is to discover if there are ways to modify the susceptible gene that will make more citrus resistant to Xanthomonas and related bacteria, he said.

That’s good news for growers who want their crops to look presentable, said Matthew Salois, economic and market research director for the Florida Department of Citrus.

Hu said canker, though highly contagious, is mostly controlled in Florida.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 2/10/2014 under the headline "UF researchers discover cause of citrus disease"]