500 try vegan pizza, ice cream at VegFest

Cheese-free pizza and soy ice cream awaited about 500 students on the Plaza of the Americas Wednesday during VegFest.

The event, which was sponsored by the UF chapter of Animal Activists of Alachua County, offered free vegan food to students and informed them about local restaurants that offer vegan options.

“Many are happy to eat free food,” said Alyssa Cohen, the president of the UF chapter of Animal Activists of Alachua County. “Many seem interested in the vegan lifestyle and considered it, but never researched it.”

Last year’s event had a turnout of about 900 people and included more sponsors, but this year the chapter had trouble getting restaurant  sponsors because budgets were tight.

Restaurant donors this year included Leonardo’s Pizza, Gyro Plus and Karma Cream, Cohen said.

Besides organizing VegFest, the UF chapter of Animal Activists of Alachua County also sends volunteers to animal shelters and holds rallies in support of animal rights.

“We want to show people that vegan food tastes good and that it’s easy to get in Gainesville,” said treasurer and junior Anandani Maharaj

Maharaj said all kinds of students stop by for free food, and some have never tried vegan food before.

Material science and engineering graduate student Krishna Nittala said he was a vegan but switched back to meat recently because it was hard for him to get the right nutrition.

“The main concern for most vegans is that they can’t eat out,” he said. “VegFest gives a list of local restaurants that offer vegan options.”