Students for a Democratic Society protest at FBI office

Chants like “Hey, hey, ho, ho, police oppression’s got to go,” and “Same thing every time; opposing war is not a crime” echoed from the corner of South Main Street and Northeast Second Avenue on Monday evening.  About 30 protesters, led by the Students for a Democratic Society,  stood outside Gainesville’s FBI Regional Agency from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. to raise their voices against recent investigative activity concerning anti-war activists.

Justin Wooten, an SDS member, former UF student and organizer of the protest, said the FBI entered, searched and confiscated belongings from the homes of two of his  acquaintances.

“We’re upset at the violation of civil liberties of people just like us,” Wooten said.

The goal of the gathering, according to Wooten, was to “end FBI intimidation.” The Regional Agency office did not respond overtly to the protest and was unavailable for comment Monday.

Some SDS members said Homeland Security had taken photos of the protest. At least four Homeland Security vehicles, including a K-9 unit, were parked behind the FBI offices but out of sight during the protest.

“We’re here for extra security,” said one officer, who refused to give a name or further comment. No Homeland Security representatives were available for comment.

“They can put you behind bars for supporting any organization they deem a terrorist organization,” Wooten said. “It’s a real threat to freedom of speech in this country.”