Donation program lets Gators fundraise through touchdowns

This football season, the Gators’ success on the field will aid more than just their record.

The fourth annual Academic Sports Challenge will bring in money to the George A. Smathers Libraries for every touchdown scored in the season. Students, faculty and alumni can pledge dollars per touchdown to donate to the library system.

At the end of the 12-game season, donors pay their donations based on the number of touchdowns scored, said Barbara Hood, UF library spokeswoman.

Students can join the challenge by filling out an online pledge form, which can be found at the UF libraries’ website.

Pledges can range from 25 cents to more than $100, depending on what the donor wants to contribute. Students can join the challenge at any time during the season, Hood said.

“The good thing about it is people can also choose where they want their money to go to,” she said.

Donors can choose to have their donations go to specific collections and libraries, she said. The pledge sheet has several collections and libraries listed, but donors can write in other specific locations they want to direct their donation toward.

Since the program started, it has been expanded to include basketball as part of The Florida Basketball 3-point Challenge, which works similarly to the Academic Sports Challenge.

Donors can pledge money for every successful 3-point shot made during the regular basketball season for the men’s and women’s teams.

“The funds we raise from the challenge are for all the students,” said Samuel Huang, library associate dean for advancement and development.

“It is to meet all the students’ learning needs.”

Richard Carris, a UF alumnus and member of the Library Leadership Board, presented the idea for the challenge four years ago.

While watching the 2009 BCS championship game, the idea came to his then 13-year-old son Brent.

“I thought it would be smart to have some sort of donation to the school for every touchdown,” said Brent, now 17.