Tuesday, March 19, 2024
crime tape
crime tape

Gainesville Police arrested a man Tuesday night for beating a man with a milk crate.

Raymond Gullion was parked at Dignity Campgrounds, located at 3035 NE 28th Drive, in his pick-up truck when the victim walked by him. An argument started around 7 p.m., during which Gullion got out of his car, according to the report.

Gullion, 62, allegedly picked up a milk crate and hit the victim over the head with it. Witnesses said he struck the victim with the crate multiple times. One witness said he struck the victim around 10 times. Another witness stated the argument began because Gullion called the victim a racial slur.

Gullion

The victim reportedly suffered from a head injury and blood loss and was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital. He also hurt his hand on the pavement.

The victim stated he didn’t do anything and that Gullion hit him on the head with the crate. According to the report, Gullion admitted to hitting the victim on the head with the crate one time, but he said the victim threw the crate at him when he got out of his car. Gullion said he acted in self-defense.

There have allegedly been problems between Gullion and the victim in the past.

According to Alachua County Jail records, Gullion was charged with battery. His bond is set at $15,000.

Follow Jessica Curbelo on Twitter @jesscurbelo and contact her at jcurbelo@alligator.org.