Going out with friends, treating yourself to a delicious lunch or seeing the latest movie.

What do all these things have in common?

They all require cash, and for the more than 50,000 UF students living in Gainesville, there are several resources available to help keep both wallets and stomachs full.

Students interested in working on campus can find job openings on the university’s website, https://jobs.ufl.edu/, as well as listings on the Reitz Union’s website, www.union.ufl.edu/jobs, and UF’s Office of Human Resource Services’ website, www.hr.ufl.edu.

Dillon Vista, a 20-year-old marketing junior, has been working for Gator Dining Services since the beginning of summer.

With job competition high, Vista recommends looking for on-campus employment opportunities in the beginning and end of the semester.

A perk to working on campus is the chance to keep academics and employment together in one place.

Joey Cusmano, an 18-year-old economics sophomore, has been working for the UF Foundation for about three months.

Cusmano lives on campus, and because the foundation is in walking distance from his classes, transportation has never been an issue.

“It’s great if you don’t have a car readily accessible,” he said.

For students looking for internships and employment outside of the university, the Career Resource Center is a valuable tool.

The center, located in the Reitz Union, offers resume and cover letter critiques, part- and full-time job listings and advising.

Each year, the center holds two Career Showcase events, where regional and national employers come to UF to interview students for potential internships and jobs.

White said about 300 employers attend the two-day event during the Spring and Fall semesters.

Aside from the showcase, CRC Director Heather White said students can find jobs around the city through the Gainesville Chamber of Commerce and FloridaWorks, as well as newspaper and online advertisements.

Maximizing the options in any job search, White said, is critical.

“It’s not just attending the career fair or just using a search engine. It’s doing all these things together that can maximize the efforts of finding a job and securing a position,” she said.

White recommends students start their job search early in their college career so they can gain valuable work experience and be more competitive in the future.

“It helps shape decisions for the future and makes you much more marketable when looking for internships or full-time employment,” she said.

Contact Chris Alcantara at calcantara@alligator.org.