Political scientist calls for Palestinian statehood, end to conflict with Israel

Norman Finkelstein, a political scientist, author and lecturer, spoke about a solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict in a lecture Thursday night at the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.

In his speech to about 150 people, Finkelstein also spoke about the Arab Spring and the Occupy Wall Street movement.

The event was organized by Students for Justice in Palestine.

"This is the most important event this chapter of SJP has ever organized," UF SJP President Mohammad Tina said in a press release.

Finkelstein began his lecture with a joke about UF, saying the university had the largest outdoor swimming pool out of the other stops in Orlando and Tampa.

After talking about the Arab Spring movement, a series of protests against governments in the Middle East, he mentioned how it inspired the United States' own Occupy Wall Street movement.

He said there needs to be a solution for Palestine - because it's time for the conflict to end.

Finkelstein said an increasing number of countries around the world support Palestine's bid for statehood, citing a BBC poll.

"Sometimes public opinion surprises you with its ability to see through the lines," he said.

Marc Robinson, a health education senior, said he just wants peace for everyone in the region, and he attended the event because a friend invited him. Finkelstein's presentation showed him a side of the conflict that he hadn't thought of before because it's not talked about in the U.S.

"We're never given a different perspective on it," he said.

Finkelstein said the 1967 borders should be put back in place, and Palestinians should be allowed to exercise their rights of self-determination, just like international popular opinion states.

"People sometimes forget that the point is to end it," Finkelstein said.