<p>Hammaad Saber is a 22-year-old UF industrial and systems engineering senior running for Student Body vice president with Access Party.</p><p>Saber currently serves as a senator for the College of Engineering. He served on the Rules and Ethics Committee, was an Innovation Academy ambassador and has interned as a consultant analyst for The Walt Disney Co. Saber was a First Year Florida peer leader and peer mentor, and he is also the networking director of the Institute of Industrial Engineers. He also founded, and is the president of, IA Leadership Enhancement and Development. He said he wants to apply past experiences to the vice presidential role.</p><p>“I will do everything I can to make sure that the students’ voice are heard, and if a student has a concern, if a student wants an event, I want to make sure that’s reality,” he said. “I have a huge skill set and I’m itching to use it.”</p>

Hammaad Saber is a 22-year-old UF industrial and systems engineering senior running for Student Body vice president with Access Party.

Saber currently serves as a senator for the College of Engineering. He served on the Rules and Ethics Committee, was an Innovation Academy ambassador and has interned as a consultant analyst for The Walt Disney Co. Saber was a First Year Florida peer leader and peer mentor, and he is also the networking director of the Institute of Industrial Engineers. He also founded, and is the president of, IA Leadership Enhancement and Development. He said he wants to apply past experiences to the vice presidential role.

“I will do everything I can to make sure that the students’ voice are heard, and if a student has a concern, if a student wants an event, I want to make sure that’s reality,” he said. “I have a huge skill set and I’m itching to use it.”

Ever since high school, Hammaad Saber has been set on becoming an engineer.

The Student Body vice presidential candidate, running with Access Party, said his education at UF and internships have taught him how to put on events that will bring in students. He said he hopes to bring his skills to Student Government.

“I want to use my skillset to take any problem, get any kind of solution that we’re looking for and maximize efficiency, effectiveness and access,” the 22-year-old UF industrial and systems engineering senior said.

Saber said when he applied to UF, he took a leap of faith and joined the Innovation Academy’s first class. It was the idea of learning entrepreneurship that drew him to apply, along with the university’s prominent engineering curriculum.

The Miami-born Pakistani said IA has been one of his defining experiences at UF. Being able to start IA’s Leadership Enhancement and Development, or IA LEAD, in the Spring of his freshman year allowed him to offer IA students an organization that ran on the Spring-Summer schedule.

Saber also introduced a Student Senate law that gives IA senators replacement senators during the Fall semester.

“Writing the bill was kind of like a way to tell the rest of Student Government that we have to seriously think about how IA students can be equal to non-IA students so that they don’t feel like second-rate Gators,” he said.  

David Nassau, 21, said Saber first made an impression on him before they even got to campus. The first IA class had a Facebook page on which students could ask questions, Nassau said. Being the first class, there were a lot of questions, and Saber would always be there, ready with an answer.

“He went to the length of emailing (the) IA office to get answers for students. Hammaad actually took it upon himself and ended up going out of his way,” Nassau, a UF marketing senior, said.

“I just really wanted to help everyone,” Saber said, adding he was excited about joining the program. “I wanted to spread that positivity.”

Saber initially tried to get involved with SG his freshman year, but his ideas of SG didn’t match up with Swamp Party’s  — the only party in Senate. This was until Access came along, giving Saber a way into SG without giving up his ideals and morals.

“If I’m going to get involved with Student Government, I need to be able to keep my morals, and this was a party I was able to do it with,” he said. “It was the easiest choice ever.”

He interviewed with Access in the Spring, and ran as a candidate for the College of Engineering. He won his seat with 706 votes. Since then, Saber said he’s tried to represent both his college and IA students, because he feels they’re underrepresented in Senate. He also said he hopes to bring equality and a friendly atmosphere to the cabinet positions in SG.

“That’s the bottom line,” he said. “At the end of the day, we’re all one team, and we all have the same goal, which is to serve the students.”