<p>Smith Meyers</p>

Smith Meyers

Smith Meyers knew he wanted to run for UF’s Student Body president after a childhood friend slipped into depression in Spring 2016.

Since Meyers was involved in Student Government, he helped his friend get support through UF resources.

Now, he wants to continue being students’ advocate by running for UF’s Student Body president with Impact Party.

“I realized I was part of something bigger than myself, and that led me and inspired me to want to serve through leader- ship,” Meyers said.

The election, to be held Tuesday and Wednesday, will be the first one since 2014 with an uncontested presidential race. Meyers, 22, was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and

came to UF because it had the best education for its value, he said. His parents, Florida State University alumni, had to forgive him for becoming a Gator.

“What I realized was, when I joined The Gator Nation, I found a family,” the UF food and resource economics senior said.

After participating in his high school’s student government, Meyers decided he wanted to join UF’s SG. He ran as a Swamp Party senator in the Fall and Spring of his freshman year, but he lost. During Spring 2014, he applied for a business replacement seat, but he failed to reach Student Senate again.

During Summer 2014, he became a replacement District A senator. He won an election for a District A Senate seat with Swamp Party in Fall 2014 and hasn’t left Senate since.

Meyers then became budget and appropriations chairman in Spring 2015. He said one of his biggest accomplishments was reaching across the aisle to Access’ Student Body Treasurer Nicholas Carre.

Together, he said they created a budget that didn’t increase student fees but brought in new services such as The New York Times Readership Program. The budget passed with bi- partisan support.

When Swamp stopped running Senate candidates in Fall 2015, Meyers ran with Impact because it was created to work with other parties, he said. He served as the Senate pro tempore in Spring 2016 and is currently the Senate president.

Meyers, a member of the fraternity Alpha Tau Omega, said he served as the chapter’s first sophomore president. Every Sunday, he also attends worship services at Christ Community Church.

Avery Smith, 22, said he and Meyers met during a UF trip to Israel about a year ago and bonded over their faith. Their friendship continued when Smith, a UF philosophy and economics senior, served as a District B senator from Fall 2015 to Fall 2016. He said he believes Meyers is the best candidate for UF Student Body president.

“Anything that he does, he just puts his mind to it and fights for it,” Smith said.

Meyers said he wants to emulate the integrity of his favorite politician, Sen. Ben Sasse (R- Neb.), during his presidency.

“I’m dedicated to listen to every student,” he said. “I want them to bring all their concerns to me, and I will hear them out and advocate for them as best as possible.”

Smith Meyers