The success of UF's sports teams has led some students and faculty members to wonder why the University Athletic Association can't step in and rescue UF's academic programs from big budget cuts next year.

But the UAA, which has donated about $48 million to UF since 1990, has, in fact, considered making a larger than average contribution to UF this year, UF spokesman Steve Orlando said.

"There have been discussions about that, but I don't think they've reached any final decision on it," Orlando said.

Steve McClain, a UAA spokesman, said the association usually won't know how much it will donate until the end of the fiscal year, when revenues are tallied.

"Some of it is contingent on licensing and royalty fees, so I can't give you a number right now," McClain said.

Orlando argued that the UAA has been the subject of some unfair criticism.

"You hear people say, 'Gee it sounds like the athletic association is so successful. They really should contribute more to the university,'" Orlando said.

The UAA contributes a lot, he added.

"They've been very generous with their help," he said. "More than they get credit for, I think."

He also said the UAA's $83 million budget is smaller than some people might imagine.

"People think they're rolling in money," he said. "The fact of the matter is, they run a very lean operation."