Email scandal raises questions about Hillary’s feminist motives

On Sunday, International Women’s Day reminded the nation of the battle for gender equality. The revolutionary cries of feminist advocates were heard and understood by many.  The population was exposed to the post-modern plight for freedom, which is remarkably similar to quests for liberty undertaken by our forefathers in past movements. And, in the same way proponents of past quests rallied behind strong leaders, so too did feminists rally behind iconic figures. Among the outspoken advocates was Hillary Clinton, whom many believe to be a great symbol for feminism.

Although Clinton’s outspoken advocacy for feminism has surely benefited the cause, some are infuriated with her in regards to a separate issue with troubling implications: her possession of a secret email account that violates federal regulations. 

However, others believe that this “scandal” has been overdramatized by media hype and shouldn’t be used to cast a shadow on the feminist icon. Personally, I believe that Clinton’s use of an illegal email is not only troubling but also compromising of her character in regards to leadership. If this is proven true, then feminists should not rally behind Clinton but rather find a more venerable leader to represent their cause. 

Let’s explore the issue to its full extent.

Since 2009, federal regulations have required all emails to be preserved as part of an agency’s record-keeping system. Before this law was put into place, many political figures, including Clinton herself, were strongly advocating for transparency in the White House. In 2007, during a speech on the George Bush campaign, she attacked the White House for using secret emails. She proclaimed, “Our Constitution is being shredded. We know about the secret wiretaps … the secret White House email accounts. It is a stunning record of secrecy and corruption, of cronyism run amok.” Back in 2007, her passion for transparency was truly venerable. Now, she is committing the same crime she berated Bush for.

In a recent interview with Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., CBS journalist Bob Schieffer explained that with a private email, Clinton could not only keep her emails from the government but also delete those she never wanted anyone to find. And although she has turned in her private email to be reviewed, Gowdy reports months of missing activity. 

He goes on to discuss the day when Clinton was on a plane to Libya and explains that they have no record of any emails during that trip. A picture of Clinton on the trip, which shows her using her phone — purportedly emailing — was her Twitter icon, but she recently took it down. Her new profile picture was a white silhouette of a woman, which is an icon of the Clinton Foundation’s “Not There” campaign  that raises awareness on how far women have come in society and how far they still have to go. Clinton has since reinstated the old photo as her Twitter profile picture.

However, many are suspicious of the timing of the change. After all, her old picture could have possibly been proof of her sending an email. Then again, the Not There campaign is a real awareness program. 

That being said, coincidence is rarely ever the result of unrelated events. It is possible that Clinton is in fact hiding behind feminist campaigns in order to protect her own self-interests. If this is the case, it is a deplorable stunt. But even if this isn’t true, the aforementioned scandal proves Clinton’s shady character and unlawful activity. It exposes her as a hypocrite and a criminal, and I do not believe that someone with these traits should be one of the main leaders of the feminist cause. The fight for equality deserves better.

But as 2016 approaches, Clinton will continue to rally feminists in the hopes of garnering more votes. In recent speeches she has excited crowds by shouting things such as “Don’t you someday want to see a woman president?” to which she receives an abundance of applause. Of course, I too want to see a woman president. But I know when a politician is using that sentiment and manipulating it for personal causes. 

Feminists cannot allow the desire for a woman leader to taint their analysis of Clinton’s character. And we cannot allow Clinton to misuse feminism as a means of reaching the Oval Office. Feminists need a leader, but they deserve a just one. My advice is that we don’t support just any proponent of a good cause but rather one who has proven his or her validity, leadership and true belief in the movement. 

Dennis Fiore is a UF political science freshman. His column usually appears on Wednesdays.