President Obama is missing the Mark

A parable, according to many scholars, is an earthly message with a heavenly meaning. Similar to an analogy, they are typically short, anecdotal stories filled with characters and events that are deeply symbolic. In addition, parables were a common form of teaching in Judaism.

Used to simplify tough theological concepts, the parable was an effective tool for many rabbis. Jesus Christ utilized them pretty frequently during his ministry while on Earth.

My favorite parable is in Matthew 25, known as the “Parable of the Talents” (it has different names, depending on the version).

It tells of a wealthy man who is going on a journey and entrusts a share of his “talents” to each of his three servants. To one he gives five talents, to another two and to another one. The master leaves, but we don’t know where he goes and for how long. He is testing them.

The servant who received five talents goes to work and doubles the amount that was given to him. The servant who received two talents also goes to work and also doubles the amount. But the third servant, who received only one talent, didn’t double that which was given to him. Scared, he buried his talent in the ground and hid it.

When the master returned, he demanded an account of their work. The first two servants explained that they had gained 100 percent of what they were entrusted. The master lauded both of them, putting them in charge of “many things.”

Then, as the story goes, the third servant approached his master and told him he was afraid of disappointing him, scared that he would lose his talent (this is why he buried it).

His master was furious. He criticized the third servant for his indolence.

Although Jesus used this parable to metaphorically illustrate our biblical responsibilities, there is a universal — and political — application, as well.

Let me explain.

Every week, the Chider-in-Chief blasts Republicans because they support lowering taxes and letting people keep more of their hard-earned money.

While refusing to embrace the only sensible solution that will solve America’s feckless and reckless spending problem (i.e., cutting spending), the president and his minions in Washington continue to spout the same old rhetoric: raising taxes on the wealthy, or as he calls them, the “well-off” and “well-connected.”

Since when is getting a second and third job (i.e., generating more revenue) the only answer to pay off your credit card debt?

Since when is it OK not to pay your bills by putting them on the backs of your children?

Since when should you be rewarded like the two men who doubled their talents when you — like the man who chose not to work hard, who chose not to take risks — decided to do nothing?

According to a FoxNews.com article — nothing but the best, people — data showed about 37 percent of the federal income tax burden fell on the top 1 percent, while 41 percent had a zero or negative tax liability.

Our president must read a Bible that is fundamentally different than our own.

He believes Jesus was a socialist. He believes that if you don’t work, you will eat. He believes that beggars can be choosers. He believes that all men were not created equal. He believes that what you sow the government reaps.

His favorite verse is Mark 12:17, when Jesus said, “Render unto [Obama] that which is [Obama’s].”

His favorite passage is Romans 13.

After Jesus shared one of his parables, his disciples asked him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?”

He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to THEM.”

Erik Skipper is an economics sophomore at UF. His column runs on Wednesdays. You can contact him via opinions@alligator.org.