Antiquated practice of hazing reveals dark side of Greek life

The comic featured last week-concerning the hazing incidents that brought the UF chapter of Sigma Lambda Gamma to its second suspension for hazing violations ­- legitimized and downplayed the crimes of which the organization has been found guilty.

As someone who was once a victim of hazing, I can attest that it is no joking matter. The rules commonly used by many of the organizations in the Multicultural Greek Council and National Pan-Hellenic Council include: bans on social interaction outside of the organization, sleep deprivation, excessive exercising, bans on accessing certain parts of campus (such as Turlington Plaza or the Reitz Union) bans on online networking, bans on any form of interaction with other Greek members, bans on smoking, drinking and sexual intercourse and bans on "shortcuts," which could be interpreted to be just about anything.

How do you think a group of similarly aged peers force new members to comply with these absurd rules? Fear. At the almost daily "education sessions" (which can happen at any time of the day or night and may last several hours) it is common for new members to be blindfolded, shouted at, pushed, shoved, humiliated, sometimes beaten and psychologically tormented. New members are also forced to perform excessive push-ups, standing exercises and other physical activities until they have reached muscular failure. New members caught breaking the rules will be "pledged" harder.

There may be certain benefits to this - you might build some brotherhood/sisterhood with the people with whom you were hazed, you might shed some pounds and you might even gain some muscle tone. But after this "process" you will undoubtedly have some psychological scars.

To the Greek organizations that are caught up in the ego competition to see which organization hazes the hardest: shame on you. Can't you find more innovative and less barbaric means of building brotherhood/sisterhood? It seems you have forgotten the definition of the terms that supposedly define your existence.

To any students considering joining a Greek organization: do your research. You can usually tell or find out if an organization hazes or not. Don't just ask them up front--any organization will deny it. Talk to people in the community, and you can usually tell. Ask yourself if you really want to be part of an organization that not only hazes but prides itself on it.

The bruises I gained from my time "on-line" (pledging) are gone, but the psychological damage is still there, even after a few semesters.

It is a shame that Sigma Lambda Gamma has been caught twice for hazing, but hopefully its punishment will not be in vain, and Greek organizations at UF can mature past such behavior.

This column was submitted by a fraternity member who wishes to remain anonymous.