<p>Will Grier runs onto the field during Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19 at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky. West Virginia announced on April 6, 2016, that Grier was transferring to WVU. </p>

Will Grier runs onto the field during Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19 at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky. West Virginia announced on April 6, 2016, that Grier was transferring to WVU. 

Florida quarterback Will Grier has lost his appeal to reduce a year-long suspension by the NCAA, the school confirmed Friday night.

The story was first reported by the Orlando Sentinel.

Grier’s 12-month suspension for performance enhancing drugs was announced on Oct. 13, and coach Jim McElwain said the school would appeal the NCAA’s ruling.

According to the report from the Sentinel, the quarterback and his lawyer, Clay Townsend, had the appeal heard via conference call on Monday.

During the Oct. 13 press conference, Grier said he took an over-the-counter supplement and did not check with the team’s training staff to ensure it was free of any banned NCAA substances.

“I'm really, really sorry to everyone,” the redshirt freshman said in his press conference. “Just really sorry.”

With the ruling, Grier will be ineligible to play until Oct. 15 against Missouri, Florida’s seventh game of the 2016 season.

Grier split time at quarterback with sophomore Treon Harris until the third game of the season at Kentucky, at which point Grier took sole command of the job until the suspension.

The redshirt freshman started five games and played in six during the 2015 season, throwing for 1,204 yards, 10 touchdowns and three interceptions.