<p align="justify">Defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd (73), now a member of the Minnesota Vikings, celebrates after making a tackle during Florida’s 33-23 loss to Louisville during the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2 at the Superdome in New Orleans.&nbsp;</p>

Defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd (73), now a member of the Minnesota Vikings, celebrates after making a tackle during Florida’s 33-23 loss to Louisville during the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2 at the Superdome in New Orleans. 

Florida entered the 2012 NFL Draft with the nation’s longest active streak of having at least one player selected in the first round — a span dating back to 2007 — before being shut out in the opening round.

The Gators avoided a second consecutive disappointment, but it took much longer than expected.

Former UF defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd — once projected to be drafted as high as No. 2 overall — was selected by the Minnesota Vikings with the 23rd pick in the 2013 NFL Draft on Thursday night.

Former safety Matt Elam was selected by the Baltimore Ravens with the 32nd pick.

“I’m ready to get started, man. I feel down right now; there’s a chip on my shoulder. I have to prove myself,” Floyd told the NFL Network. “The Minnesota Vikings did a great thing and took a chance on me, and I ain’t gonna let them down. It’s time to get going.”

Most experts expected Floyd to be the first defensive tackle off the board. Instead, he became the third. The New York Jets drafted Missouri’s Sheldon Richardson with the 13th pick. Utah’s Star Lotulelei was taken 14th overall by the Carolina Panthers.

“You never know what happens in those situations,” coach Will Muschamp said of Floyd sliding late into the first round. “The deeper you go in the draft, the better the organization you’re going to be with. (Minnesota) is a great organization to be with.”

Muschamp dismissed any character concerns that NFL general managers were reported as having about Floyd, saying: “I was with the young man for two years. There’s absolutely no character issues. I don’t know where that comes from.”

Floyd announced his decision to forgo his senior season following Florida’s 33-23 loss to Louisville in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2. He ended his college career with 115 tackles, including 26 for a loss, 4.5 sacks and a forced fumble in 37 games.

As a junior, Floyd became the first Florida defensive lineman to earn an All-American selection since 2006. He totaled 46 tackles during the 2012 season, 13 of which went for a loss, which led UF and was fifth-best in the Southeastern Conference. He also contributed three sacks, two blocked kicks and a forced fumble.

Elam was the second former Florida player drafted, marking the first time two Gators were selected in the first round since 2010.

The junior safety finished his college career with 168 tackles, 23.5 which went for a loss, 13 pass breakups and six interceptions. His four interceptions were fourth in the SEC in 2012.

“I’ll bring a lot of comeptitiveness and a lot of energy,” Elam said. “I’m going to do my job and make a receiver scared to go my way.”

Elam expects to compete for the spot vacated by former Baltimore safety Ed Reed, who signed with the Houston Texans during the offseason.

“Matt’s a guy that is very mature, very smart,” Muschamp said. “He will translate very well to the pro level.”

Contact Phil Heilman at pheilman@alligator.org.