<p>Chris Thompson waits to run drills during Friday Night Lights a Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

Chris Thompson waits to run drills during Friday Night Lights a Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Gainesville Police filed a sworn complaint charging Florida wide receiver Chris Thompson with misdemeanor simple battery after he reportedly scratched and bruised his former girlfriend during an argument.

Because police were not able to contact Thompson that day, a sworn complaint affidavit was filed with the State Attorney’s Office with recommended charges, Gainesville Police Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email.

Shortly after midnight on April 1, Thompson and his ex-girlfriend argued about a text message that Thompson received from another woman, according to a police report.

The former girlfriend had Thompson’s phone, according to the report. Thompson tried to grab it from the woman as she demanded he answer her questions.

While trying to get the phone, Thompson grabbed the woman’s arms, which caused bruising and scratches on her arms and neck, according to the report.

The two were in a relationship that ended about four months ago, according to the report.

UF head coach Jim McElwain said Thompson is excused from the team until the issue is resolved.

“That's kind of how we're dealing with it,” McElwain said Thursday. “We'll find out as it goes forward, find out what goes on with it."

It is the first conduct issue for the Florida football team since McElwain was hired as the Gators’ head coach in December.

Thompson is a 2012 graduate of Gainesville High School and has four receptions totaling 30 yards in his UF career.

Follow Richard Johnson on Twitter @RagjUF