Youthful Florida secondary getting its feet wet during spring practice

<p dir="ltr">Cornerback Marco Wilson is expected to play a big role in Florida's defense this season after recording 34 total tackles as a freshman in 2017.</p>

Cornerback Marco Wilson is expected to play a big role in Florida's defense this season after recording 34 total tackles as a freshman in 2017.

The Florida Gators secondary, which has produced five NFL draft picks in the last two seasons, takes pride in the moniker the school has received in recent years: Defensive Back University.

However, that “DBU” label has no meaning without putting the work in, starting with the team’s 2018 spring practices.

“Right now, we just take pride in learning the defense, growing the fundamentals and playing with a competitive nature,” cornerbacks coach Charlton Warren said after Wednesday’s practice.

Warren was brought on to Florida’s staff by first-year head coach Dan Mullen after spending last season at Tennessee. Mullen also hired a new safeties coach in former Eastern Michigan head coach Ron English.

Warren and English have both seen strides in the team’s young secondary but said there is still a lot of work to do before the unit is ready to open the season against Charleston Southern on Sept. 1.

The two coaches preach consistency and fundamentals from their players, and English said he likes the attitude and effort he’s seen so far.

“We’re getting better,” he said. “We need a lot of reps because we’re young and inexperienced, but we’re getting better.”

With just two upperclassmen defensive backs on the roster in juniors Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and Jeawon Taylor, there will be plenty of opportunities for young players to see the field in Florida’s secondary.

Sophomores Marco Wilson and CJ Henderson figure to play a big role on defense after receiving significant playing time last fall. Henderson’s four interceptions in 2017 are the most among returning players. His first two picks of the season, against Michigan on Sept. 2 and Tennessee on Sept. 16, were both returned for touchdowns.

Wilson, the younger brother of former UF and current Indianapolis Colts cornerback Quincy Wilson, was second among the team's defensive backs with 34 total tackles and led the team with 10 pass breakups.

“They’re guys that have had some success,” Warren said of Wilson and Henderson. “And they understand, just like we do, that they have a long way to go to get to where they want to be.”

Warren also said that sophomore Brian Edwards and freshman Trey Dean III could make a push for playing time. The 6-foot-2, 183-pound Edwards played in 10 games during the 2017 season, primarily on special teams.

Warren recruited Dean III, an early enrollee at Florida, while he was still with the Volunteers.

“He should be going to his high school prom right now, and he’s trying to learn a playbook and manage school,” Warren said. “He’s given effort, but like I said, I think growing his football IQ, growing his skill set and technique, it’s a day-by-day process.”

Follow Andrew Huang on Twitter @AndrewJHuang and contact him at ahuang@alligator.org.