Tea has a whole new appeal. Gone are the days of high-noon tea at the Four Seasons.

Say goodbye to Earl Grey and Tazo; you will not be seeing any of them in the new clique of gourmet teas. Bubble tea gives a nod to its old-fashioned predecessor in its roots, but it is definitely not your grandma's cup of tea.

Bubble tea, or "boba" tea, is in essence iced tea with tapioca pearls and possibly some added flavoring. Yes, you read that correctly, the ever-familiar starch, tapioca, is what makes this tea special. But these pearls, often referred to as "bobas" or bubbles, are not just plain tapioca. The pearls are cooked to chewy perfection and usually sweetened with brown sugar or honey to give them their sweet syrupy outer shell. If this description is not enough to convince you of bubble tea's awesomeness, then the next five reasons should do the trick.

1. Basically there are gummy bears in your tea. That may not sound too appetizing, but believe me it is. "I'd describe tapioca pearls as chewy gummies. It is it's own thing," said Jon Huang, Lollicup employee of three years and bubble tea maker.

2. It's a healthier alternative to sodas and other beverages. Tea is naturally rich in antioxidants and vitamins - key word here being natural - unlike other beverages that are enhanced with chemicals and protein.

3. It comes with a warning. Most bubble teas are served in cups that read: "Please drink carefully to avoid choking on the boba." You know a drink is boss when it comes with a warning.

4. The flavor options are vast and delicious. "My favorite combination is taro with mango and pearls," senior Corinne Oliphant said. Flavor combinations range from red tea and green apple to the milky royal flavor.

5. It's a fun drink. How often can that be said of a non-alcoholic drink? Beside looking cool, it comes with a vacuum seal that covers the entire drink and then a giant straw pokes through it-it is a novelty. Drinking this will bring you back to the days of cotton candy and pixie sticks.

The price tag on these drinks will not leave your wallet fat, but it won't break the bank either. One regular-sized tea with pearls and an added flavor will set you back about $3.75, but it's worth every penny.