<p>Jamie Amir, Tobin Wagstaff, Shawn Manley, Matthew Weisman and Simon Amir are performing at Double Down Live on Friday at 10 p.m. All proceeds go to Disabled American Veterans.</p>

Jamie Amir, Tobin Wagstaff, Shawn Manley, Matthew Weisman and Simon Amir are performing at Double Down Live on Friday at 10 p.m. All proceeds go to Disabled American Veterans.

Jamie Amir, a Gainesville dentist, recently had a patient who was no longer able to do his job, not because of laws or age, but because of injuries to his wrist from when he was serving in the Vietnam War. Considered only 10 percent disabled, the man receives $100 a month.

Now, Amir is doing his part to help those who can't help themselves.

Amir and the rest of his band, Whiplash, will be performing at Double Down Live on Friday night. All proceeds will go to the Disabled American Veterans.

"We keep hearing in the news about how veterans get short-changed" he said. "Obviously what we can donate is a drop in the bucket, but it's good to raise awareness. We have thousands and thousands of wounded vets that are going to be dealing with this for the rest of their lives, and it's an important thing for the American public to know about."

Disabled American Veterans is a nonprofit organization that represents more than 200,000 veterans and their families.

According to the 2012 Transportation Network Program, Disabled American Veterans is currently using donations to buy vans to transport the veterans. The largest of the cars that can be purchased, the 2012 Ford E350 XL Wagon, holds up to 12 passengers and would cost more than $25,000.

"It's a good day to support Veterans Day and a good way to support Veterans Day by coming out and head-banging," Simon Amir said.

Primarily a Metallica tribute band, Whiplash was formed in 2008 and is now made up of guitarists Jamie Amir and Simon Amir, lead singer Shawn Manley, drummer Tobin Wagstaff and bassist Matthew Weisman. Simon and Jamie Amir said they both learned to play guitar using Metallica songs, starting with the easiest songs and gradually progressing.

Manley, who hosts the 4Dimensional Meltdown show on Grow Radio, said song variety is vital to the band's show.

"We have a completely new set list every time," he said. "We don't want to get old, and we don't want our audience to get bored."

With Whiplash rehearsals held in his brother's house, Jamie Amir said that even his 13-month-old niece, Lila, has learned to play some Metallica.

"She already knows how to hold a pick and what to do with it," he said. "She'll come up to the guitar and start strumming it."

As for the combination of Metallica and veterans, Jamie Amir said that they chose songs with appropriate themes.

"All of the songs on our set list are more relevant now than ever," he said. "We picked songs that matter."

Doors open at 9 p.m. for free pizza, and the band begins at 10. Tickets can be purchased at ticketweb.com or at the door for less than $10.