Yesterday during the SG-sponsored Student Speak-Out on the Plaza of Americas, I watched as the organizers struggled to get the numerous onlookers to voice their opinions. Some asked why this was a problem. And as I watched many students walk by with their new technologies and material assets, it became clear - materialism took precedence.

So I pondered how a majority of these students could care more about material things when issues over the Iraq war or issues over Iran that have led American politicians to consider a possible war loom over our heads.

It was not until I opened the Alligator and I read the opinion of Kyle Cox concerning "jorts" that it occurred to me that Kyle Cox and the many journalists who feel news stories or opinions about irrelevant material issues make for newsworthy content, are major factors as to why so many UF students are more concerned about materialism. It just baffles me to think that Mr. Cox sat down and decided that of all the issues he could have expressed his opinion about, he decided that "jorts" and their effect on Gator football outcomes was the most relevant.

The Alligator is a newspaper. It should not publish opinions about made-up terms unrelated to real news. That's for magazines. Kyle Cox, the next time you wonder why so many people are naive to what is actually happening in the world, just go to the restroom and look in the mirror.