Androgyny has had its place in high fashion for more than 30 years, but now it's finally made its way to the mainstream.

The trend of the moment is unisex clothing, supported by stores popular with the indie crowd such as American Apparel and Urban Outfitters.

This doesn't just refer to men's clothing that women can get away with wearing or vice versa. This is clothing specifically designed to fit the broad range of men's and women's sizes.

At American Apparel, for example, the unisex sizes start at XXS and go up to 3XL. These garments tend to fit a little looser than women's sizes and a little tighter than men's sizes, but that seems to be the point as the two styles are merged into one.

Girls can stop resorting to stealing their boyfriends' T-shirts if they want that loose, baggy fit. Now they can buy the loose-fitting style in a size that's specifically designed for their dimensions.

This trend has the possibility of becoming a little too masculine though, so take a cue from celebrities like Mary-Kate Olsen and Nicole Richie, who can often be seen sporting the oversized style.

Pair an oversized T-shirt with black leggings or skinny jeans, or wear a unisex tank tucked into a high-waisted pencil skirt. Of course, the ultimate way to always bring a feminine edge to a masculine look is to accessorize. Wear some bangle bracelets or cinch the loose-fitting style with a cute belt.

Women aren't the only ones taking a fashion trip to the other side of the gene pool, though - men are joining in, too.

The most trendy of the unisex fashions for men right now is the deep V-neck. From T-shirts to cardigans, men are taking the plunge.

What was once a style intended to show off more of a woman's curves is now becoming a way for guys to show off their own man cleavage - their pecs, that is.

While the jury is still out on whether this style is a little too "metro," it is being sported by the likes of Jude Law and Adam Brody, so it can't be all bad.

For men who want to sport the style but not have the awkward experience of someone spotting you from behind and thinking you're a girl, try to balance out the tight-fitting V-neck with more masculine pieces, such as boot-cut jeans instead of slim jeans.

While the unisex trend is fashionable for the moment, the key is to keep it balanced. As long as you don't stray too far from your own gender style, you're sure to be sporting a stylish, sexy trend.