Just how radical is Ron Paul?

A political radical is "someone holding political views of far left or right varieties, or simply of an extreme kind. They are so named because they desire change at the 'roots' of society," according to Wikipedia.

Ron Paul is not far left or far right. He is, however, a Libertarian.

I think most Americans would agree the state should have as little power as possible over its people. The government is supposed to work for us, not the other way around.

When Paul talks about abolishing the Internal Revenue Service, this is exactly what he's talking about.

"Even today, individual income taxes account for only approximately one-third of federal revenue. Eliminating one-third of the proposed 2007 budget would still leave federal spending at roughly ,1.8 trillion - a sum greater than the budget just 6 years ago in 2000! Does anyone seriously believe we could not find ways to cut spending back to 2000 levels?" Paul said on his Web site.

The IRS is an institution we can do without. Abolishing the IRS isn't radical - establishing it in the first place was.

The "mainstream" candidates, the ones promoting a fiscal policy that will destroy the dollar and American jobs, the ones who promote war - these are the radical candidates.

Paul supporters are constantly fired up because Paul promotes freedom, truth, liberty and justice, the values America was founded on.

It isn't just college students. Millions of people love Paul because he isn't lying. Most politicians are just that - politicians. These people are professional liars hiding their true interests. They work for the billionaires who fund their campaigns, who promote imperialism and assassinations ("regime change") around the world.

Paul can win. His stance on abortion is the same as his stance on gay marriage and the war on drugs.

These issues should not be the business of the federal government: The government should work for the people, not police them. He represents the change progressive Americans so desperately want and need.

America will not find peace by sending men and women with guns to other countries.

Imperialism. Assassination. These are not words that should be associated with America.

The media and the billionaires want you to believe Paul cannot win because they do not want you to hope, to dream of a better world for you and your children. They want all of the money and the power for themselves. Turn off your televisions. The truth isn't on the boob tube - it's on YouTube.

Paul will not only end the war in Iraq, he will bring the troops home from around the world. Paul will stop the vicious cycle of inflation, the devaluing of the American dollar and the destruction of American jobs and lives.

Paul means peace.

As my favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle once said, "That's radical."

Andrew Meyer is a senior majoring in telecommunication.