God bless the Alligator's Editorial Board.

We have a long history of starting fights, calling names and poking fun. We pick on Bush, Student Government and UF administration. We've even been accused of not supporting the Gators once or twice.

We know our reputation, but you may not know which staff members it applies to. There's some confusion about the way positions are decided and how endorsements are doled out.

Just as President Machen doesn't speak for all UF employees, we keep editorial decisions separate from reporting staff. We don't poll the newsroom. The Editorial Board is composed of only the editor, managing editor, opinions editor and a student representative or two.

In the case of endorsements, we meet with as many candidates as possible. Without any reporters present, we ask tough questions about issues that matter to our readers and to us. Trust me, this is not as glamorous as it sounds.

When we've reached a majority, the opinions editor pounds out an editorial. If one of us holds a strong minority stance, he or she is free to write a column explaining how our opinion differs from the one on Page 6 and why.

I'm about to exercise that freedom.

This election cycle, I held the minority vote for four of five choices. In the Republican primary, I supported former Gov. Mitt Romney for his executive success in Massachusetts with the state's budget and health care. As for the Democrats, I support Sen. Hillary Clinton's politically feasible approach, and wonder why Sen. Barack Obama hasn't been able to "change the tone of the debate" as he keeps claiming he is poised to do.

In the local races, I picked Bryan Harman for District 2. His energy and passion for serving Gainesville appeal to students and other residents alike. He wants to hold city commissioners to a higher standard, asking them to study more policy research in lieu of siphoning taxpayer dollars to consultants. He's open to sensible but politically sensitive reforms, like extending bar closing times and revising maximum occupancy laws. His opponents, Bonnie Mott and Lauren Poe, seem beholden to Gainesville's existing political establishment.

The At-Large 2 candidate Robert Agrusa is the most viable student contender in recent memory. His organization and knowledge of city issues impress me, and he would represent campus and city interests well.

But I think Thomas Hawkins Jr. is a better choice.

All the candidates trumpet responsible growth, but his experience with land-growth law uniquely positions him to shape the city's long-term development plan. He understands how to encourage urban growth with thoughtful zoning regulations and use of redevelopment funds.

He wants local government to enrich community life through recreation and outreach programs. He believes we can attack the roots of homelessness via city mediation with landlords, and alleviate congestion naturally by shifting traffic to east and central Gainesville.

Agrusa doesn't seem to have Hawkins' vision. His traffic plans seem short-sighted, centering on the west side of the city. He has written off the downtown area as unsafe instead of suggesting improvements.

I think many students would share Hawkins' goals. While it's unfortunate that he hasn't directly addressed students, many students love Gainesville for the reasons that Hawkins does - its local character and potential to serve its residents.

Now at least I've said my piece, and you can do the same in the voting booth today.

Leigh Shapiro is a member of the Alligator's Editorial Board and an economics senior.