Sen. Jeremy Ring's Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program bill is unconstitutional, and it violates the equal protection clause of Section 1 of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

When Bright Futures was first enacted into law, it provided an objective means for disbursal of scholarship funds.

This bill seeks to create inequity in the Bright Futures program by favoring students that choose a major from a predetermined list.

Therefore, it will be challenged in court and ultimately be declared unconstitutional.

This will waste money in court costs and cause public university administrators to involuntarily waste time they would otherwise be using for more productive goals.

Students should go to www.flsenate.gov and read the full text of the bill. They will also see that it has not been referred to a committee yet, as it will most likely be pigeonholed by the senate leadership.

Sen. Ring should spend less time trying to "fix" Bright Futures and more time serving the interests of his constituents by working on property taxes, property insurance, bringing higher paying jobs to Florida and other more important issues.