NEWS  |  SFC

SFCC to hold Surgical Technology Program open house

Holding a person's chest open, passing instruments to the surgeon and assisting in robotic procedures are all a part of a surgical technologist's forte.

Diane May, a former surgical technologist, said the career is widely unknown.

"A lot of the public doesn't realize we even exist," May said. "If I was to poll the public and ask them who passes the instruments to the surgeon, most of the public would say, 'the nurse.'"

May is the program coordinator and founder of the SFCC Surgical Technology Program, which will hold an open house Monday and Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. to educate the community on its offered courses.

May said being a surgical technologist is a satisfying career.

"If I wasn't teaching, I'd be right back scrubbing," May said. "It's a privilege to serve the patient and the doctor."

Since she started the program at SFCC in 1995, there have been more than 200 graduates.

These applicants include people straight out of high school, college graduates and those pursuing career changes, said Scott Fortner, a health sciences adviser and recruiter for the program.

Students also use surgical technology as a stepping-stone to higher levels of health care, such as nursing and medical school, Fortner said.

The age of surgical technology students in the program ranges from 19 to early 50s.

Fortner said it takes a special personality to be able to work in an operating room.

"This person can't be squeamish," he said. "It's really for that person who's well organized, emotionally stable and really interested in hands-on health care."

Surgical technology student Shavonne Carter, 31, learned about the program through the open house last year and began classes in May. Carter, who is married and has four children, knew it would take longer to finish medical school.

"I was looking for something I could do pretty much right now," she said.

Two days of the week are spent in the classroom, where students are currently learning about viruses and fungi.

Students participate in surgical procedures at Gainesville hospitals the remaining three days, she said.

"If you can handle the blood and guts, it's not bad," Carter said. "It's not as bad as it sounds."

The class has taught Carter organization, and she has learned to form bonds with classmates.

"It's so much better if you have friends in class to study with, to get together with," she said. "You can't do it by yourself."

Program Director Paul Stephan said as Shands hospitals expand, there will be a greater local need for surgical technologists.

The open house, which is run by students, will offer a realistic operating room environment as well as program presentations.

The deadline to apply for the one-year program is March 31, and about 25 applicants will be accepted.