McArthur travels with team to Kentucky, could play first base; Toledo could miss start over weekend, go to bullpen

Less than three weeks after suffering a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament against LSU, UF first baseman Brandon McArthur has been cleared to play baseball again, UF coach Kevin O'Sullivan said in a phone interview Thursday.

"He's been swinging on the field the last couple days and he's looked fine that way," O'Sullivan said of the senior.

There would be no difference between playing McArthur at first base or designated hitter, O'Sullivan said, and the team planned to test McArthur physically Thursday night before giving him the go-ahead.

"If he can play, we're going to play him," O'Sullivan said.

McArthur's return could be an emotional one for the team, especially considering the slide they've been in for the last three weeks.

"I think it's more of an emotional lift for me," O'Sullivan said. "Having him back, I've got to see as a positive for everybody. It solidifies our infield, gives us another bat in the middle of the lineup, and he battles all the time at the plate. Overall, it should be a good thing, no question."

O'Sullivan also said he was throwing around the idea of starting Stephen Locke on Saturday and moving undefeated Patrick Keating to Sunday. That would put struggling freshman Tommy Toledo in the bullpen for the series.

"He's been struggling a little bit, but he still gives us a chance to win," O'Sullivan said of Toledo. "I think that if we can swing the bat a little bit better on some of those Sundays, he may have eked out a win here or that.

O'Sullivan was quick to note that Toledo missing a start would not be a punishment.

"If we don't start him, I don't see it as a demotion," O'Sullivan said. "We'll just put him in the pen for a week and see where it goes."