The recent furor over the way China handled the Tibetan riot only highlighted the wide cultural gap between the Western World and China. From an ethnic Chinese point of view, the Tibetan uprising violated two extremely important rules of social conduct within the Chinese society.

First, the Olympics is an international event and China will be gaining international political recognition and a tremendous number of business opportunities. To that extent, maintaining appearances or face is paramount. The uprising is a direct slap to that face, a transgression that is not easily forgiven or forgettable. Moreover, keeping problems tightly controlled within the family is necessary to not losing face in the public. To an ordinary Chinese person, getting the international media involved would have appeared traitorous.

Second, most Chinese probably think that Tibet benefited much from Chinese rule. As such the uprising would appear as ungratefulness on the part of the Tibetans. Philanthropy plays a huge part in a Chinese society. Thus, the uprising is also another slap to the Chinese governments magnanimity, a most egregious offense. The crushing of the uprising was an internal affair and has nothing to do with the international community.

Within this patriarchic society, the crushing of the uprising was like a father disciplining his unruly child and the international community has no business jabbing into what was supposed to be a purely internal affair. Using the Olympics as a way to apply pressure would be ungrateful to the Chinese hospitality.

To a Chinese person, keeping the dirty laundry within the family is more important than abstract ideas such as human rights, democracy or self-determination.