Being the son of a famous band member has its perks.

But for Braxton Adamson, son of Kansas' bass player Billy Greer, a free ticket into the spotlight was never an option.

"I had to prove it to my dad and Kansas," Adamson said. "I had to pay my dues. We went from playing free concerts to getting paid at sorority and fraternity functions."

On July 18, his band, 3 Story Fall, opened for Kansas at a free concert at The Jacksonville Landing. Greer introduced his son's band and watched the performance backstage.

"I couldn't have been prouder," Greer said. "He was nervous before he got out there. He kept asking me what he should talk about, and I told him it'll come to him."

When the UF food and resource economics junior was 7, he started playing the guitar and told his parents it was his dream to become famous. He played in a few bands in grade school and high school, but he didn't seriously pursue a career in music until college.

Adamson and guitarist Nate Lezniewicz began to play cover songs in 2006. They added drummer Dan "Chewy" Howard and bass player Alex Hall.

With the new additions, Adamson wanted to move away from covering songs and began writing his own. Greer said he showed Adamson a few things, but he only needed a little help to get going.

Greer also serves as his son's manager and offers him advice on how to succeed in the music industry.

"My dad would always tell me, if you want to write a hit song, fall in love. If that doesn't work, get your heart broken," Adamson said.

Adamson's songs "Where did we begin" and "Unexpected Someone" were based on relationships he had in college.

The band's performance at The Jacksonville Landing was the first time the band had performed its new songs to an audience.

After the concert, Toney Sleimen, owner of The Jacksonville Landing, asked the band to perform during the Florida-Georgia football game in the fall.

Despite the prospects ahead of him, Adamson plans on earning a bachelor's degree.

"Music is my passion, but there are no guarantees," he said. "All I want out of life is to be happy, and I'm my happiest on stage."