The postponement of one construction project on the corner of University Avenue and 13th Street won't stop another group from building there.

After a year of delays, the University United Methodist Church will break ground Sept. 28 on a $4 million building at 1320 W University Ave., the Rev. David Fuquay said.

Fuquay said plans were put on hold when a court case last September stopped construction on University Corners, the luxury condo project proposed for the corner.

Gene Francis, a city site planner, said University Corners had originally submitted the site plan for the entire block, which was supposed to include an underground parking garage. That parking garage would have been the foundation for the church, Fuquay said. With University Corners on hold, the church had to create its own individual site plan.

Frank Darabi, a partner of the University Corners project, declined to comment.

Fuquay said the delays have been frustrating.

"Most people have the impression that the church closed or no longer exists," he said.

The old church was demolished in 2006 to make room for construction, he said, and church members have been meeting in the Presbyterian Disciples of Christ Student Center on Sunday mornings.

Fuquay said the groundbreaking would be more ceremonial than an actual beginning of construction. The church submitted what he hopes will be the final site plan to the city two weeks ago and is awaiting approval.

Francis said this site plan is close to approval but may need a few minor corrections. The church has been approved to move forward independently of University Corners, which has until next June to get a separate plan in.

The church's two-story building would feature offices, classrooms, dorm-style living space for 10 students, a 5,000-square-foot worship center, and a 1,600-square-foot student lounge.

Fuquay said the church has a good relationship with University Corners, and he is excited to see construction progress.

"Happy is probably an understatement," he said. "We are thrilled to death."