Gainesville joins ONE campaign in fight against poverty

Gainesville City Commissioner Jeanna Mastrodicasa had on a bracelet at Thursday's commission meeting in honor of a proclamation of Gainesville's support for the national ONE campaign to eliminate AIDS and global poverty.

The campaign's name comes from its goal to increase the percentage of the national gross domestic product that goes toward foreign poverty aid from 0.2 percent to 1 percent, said Andrea Morley, president of UF's chapter of ONE.

The proclomation, announced by Mayor Pegeen Hanrahan, officially named Gainesville as a ONE city.

"I support this campaign fully," she said.

Morley said Hanrahan has supported students in the campaign by saying she would do anything she could to help make Alachua a ONE county and Florida a ONE state.

The declaration shows that Gainesville recognizes poverty as a problem, said Gabriella Palmi, an intern with the campaign.

Morley said the declaration will be celebrated with local events, including a visit Saturday from the campaign's tour bus at the Plaza Royale on Newberry Road.

"We plan to have a canned food drive and talk to the homeless about the negative stereotype of being homeless," she said.