Jimmy Cheek, senior vice president of UF's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, will step down in late January to become chancellor at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

UT Knoxville's Board of Trustees unanimously approved Cheek as chancellor in a meeting Friday.

"I really like the university and the state of Florida, but I felt like this was a possibility for a capstone experience to end my career," Cheek said.

Cheek starts his new job Feb. 1. His annual salary will be $345,000. He will also get a $10,000 non-accountable expense account, $20,000 for housing expenses, $20,000 for moving expenses and a university vehicle.

His annual salary at UF is $296,000, not including bonuses.

As chancellor, Cheek's position will be similar to the position of UF President Bernie Machen, said Jack Battenfield, IFAS spokesman.

Battenfield said Machen will appoint a search committee to find Cheek's replacement. He said Machen may decide to select an interim head of IFAS.

Cheek, 62, came to UF as an associate professor of agricultural education and communication in 1975. In 2005, he became head of IFAS.