A proposed ordinance banning people under 21 years old from bars and restaurants that habitually violate underage drinking laws might pass at the Gainesville City Commission meeting on Thursday.

The Underage Prohibition in Alcohol Beverage Establishments Act, if passed on both Thursday and on Feb. 5, would ban establishments with a certain number of underage drinking arrests from allowing people under 21 years old to enter after 9 p.m.

The aim of the ordinance is to lessen the money the city spends policing bars.

In 2008, Gainesville spent $125,000 on bar patrol. In 2007, the city spent $75,000, and in 2006, $25,000 was spent. The cost increases yearly as police demand more money for overtime.

"We're spending a disproportionate amount of money to patrol bars," said Jeanna Mastrodicasa, head of the commission's Public Safety Committee. "It's really a resources issue here."

The ordinance was proposed last February and underwent several drafts before its now-final form.

Bars and restaurants with an occupancy of less than 201 must have fewer than five underage drinking arrests in 90 days to avoid penalty. Establishments with an occupancy of 201 or more must stay under 10 violations in the 90-day period, according to the ordinance.

Many bars and restaurants have few violations, so for them nothing would change. But bars such as Gator City and XS, Grog House and Jewells would have to make drastic policy changes to retain their under-21 crowd.

In the 90-day period between July and September of 2008, 32 underage drinkers were arrested at Gator City and XS, 25 were arrested at the Grog House and 25 were arrested at Jewells.

Some business owners and students oppose the ordinance.

Facebook event groups encourage UF students to protest outside city hall before the commission meeting Thursday.

One event, started by Gainesville club promoter Joey Friedman, had more than 950 members as of Monday night.

The Facebook page falsely stated that the ordinance will prohibit people younger than 21 years old from all Gainesville bars and clubs.

Friedman said it's not about the words, it's how the ordinance will be enacted.

He believes the city will pick and choose which establishments to inspect under the new ordinance, putting the heat on midtown and downtown nightlife.

"They're not sending police officers into Chili's to look for violators," he said. "They're sending them into the bars downtown."