Woman accused of neglecting drunk 12–year–old

A Gainesville woman was arrested Wednesday and charged with child neglect after failing to get professional medical help for a 12-year-old girl who was drunk at her house.

On Jan. 2, Helen Sullivan-Napier, 38, was having a barbecue at her house in northwest Gainesville when her daughter's 12-year-old friend got extremely drunk, according to a Gainesville Police Department arrest report.

U.S. Marine Felipe Garibay, a friend of Napier's daughter's boyfriend, provided the minors with alcohol, the report stated.

Instead of calling for help when she was made aware of the girl's condition, Sullivan-Napier tried to sober her up by keeping her awake, giving her liquids and covering her with blankets, the report stated.

According to the report, Sullivan-Napier gave the 12-year-old CPR twice when she thought the girl had stopped breathing.

"The defendant didn't call 911 or the child's parents at any point in the night," said GPD spokesman Keith Kameg. "We were contacted at 3 a.m., five hours later, by one of the children."

GPD and EMS arrived at Sullivan-Napier's house and transferred the child to Shands at UF for medical treatment.

According to the report, five hours after Sullivan-Napier was made aware of her extreme intoxication, the child's blood-alcohol content level was .076 but examinations showed that it was probably .135 earlier in the night.

Garibay, 27, was charged with lewd or lascivious molestation of a person under 16 years of age, four counts of contributing to delinquency of a child and five counts of child abuse.