People have forgotten how to talk to each other.

Instead, we argue. We mumble and avoid eye contact, leaving out the most human parts of communication.

Communication happens among people. It is a give and take. Two different perspectives have the glorious opportunity to cross paths and learn from each other.

If the ability to speak separates us from lower species, why do we disregard our blessing like the crinkly, burnt French fry at the bottom of the Frypod?

We don't converse. We talk at and over each other. There is no listening, and there's zero compromise. Hollow small talk and battles for correctness prevail.

You ask anyone how they're doing and they go straight to their internal answering machines. They mutter "good" or something equivalent in a tone as humdrum as the Rev. Lovejoy from "The Simpsons."

We don't need to exchange "E! True Hollywood Stories," but a little enthusiasm never hurt anyone. I know everyone has crappy days - even Mary Poppins gets the flu - but there has to be some middle ground between robotic responses and unnecessary traumatic anecdotes.

When we aren't piling useless fillers into our spare time, we may actually engage someone on a subject we care about. Unfortunately, discussions among different points of view often turn ugly.

Someone disagrees with us, and we become rabid dogs, backed into a corner. The only perceptible means of escape is to thrash through any rival ideals, hopefully leaving a gang of like-minded zombies in our wake.

The knee-jerk reaction to fight off the evil neo-cons or the hell-bound pro-choicers comes too naturally, and there's something seriously wrong with that.

The loudest, most ardent voices are not right by default. Correctness is subjective, and shouting insults doesn't alter circumstance.

Democrat, Republican, pro- and anti-abortion rights, affirmative action opponent or proponent, Catholic, atheist, pro- or anti-gay marriage: Every one of you is right, and every one of you is wrong. Our ideals cannot obstruct our abilities to reason, listen, learn and grow.

Debate should lead to compromise, not to winners and losers. "I told you so" won't fix a problem, but practical strategy might have a shot.

Not everyone is an enemy or a lunatic. They can talk, reason and analyze just like you. People are worth talking to, so give them a shot.

Last Wednesday I was sitting at a table on the Mother's patio waiting for a couple of my friends to arrive. An older guy walks out of the bar clutching a mug. He started talking to the group of people across from me, and they glared at him with we-don't-know-you eyes. The conversation fizzled immediately.

The same guy walked over to me with the same conversation lead-in. He wasn't smashed, like I assumed, not even close. I typically would have reacted as the other group did. Instead, I answered him. Turns out he was a badass from Boston who had done a million things during his life.

All he wanted to do was bullshit with someone while he finished his cigarette.

I don't want a medal for talking to somebody. I probably did it out of discomfort - I was cornered on the porch. Regardless, I enjoyed myself. I actually learned something from the bespectacled Bostonian, and I'm happy about that.

Break the social trend of unsociability.

It may be convenient to cross campus with your sunglasses on while your iPod blares and you hammer away at your phone's QWERTY keyboard, but it doesn't hurt to unplug, look up and smile for the hell of it.

Others might even respond.

Adam Wynn is a journalism senior.