18-year-old fatally shot after struggle with deputy

A Gainesville man was fatally shot Friday afternoon after a struggle with an Alachua County Sheriff's deputy at the intersection of Northwest 34th Street and 39th Avenue.

Nicholous Vertex Weeks, 18, was shot several times by Lt. Mike Hanson after physical force and the use of a Taser gun did not stop Weeks from attacking the deputy, said Gainesville Police Department spokesman Keith Kameg.

At around 12:50 p.m., GPD received calls regarding a man and woman fighting in a car at the intersection of Northwest 34th Street and 39th Avenue.

Before GPD officers arrived at the scene, the ASO deputy pulled up and tried to stop the fight, Kameg said.

Weeks then attacked Hanson, who shot the 18-year-old with a Taser gun.

After being Tasered, Weeks attempted to grab the deputy's gun. Hanson then shot Weeks several times, killing him on the scene, Kameg said.

The State Attorney's Office and ASO will assist GPD in the investigation of the incident. Because the incident happened inside the city limits, GPD will lead the investigation, according to Kameg.

Hanson has been placed on administrative leave with pay while an investigation of the incident takes place.