Local Lutheran churches divided on gay and lesbian clergy members

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the nation's largest Lutheran denomination, voted for the inclusion of openly gay clergy in committed relationships into their congregations Aug. 21.

In the weeks following, ELCA churches have been faced with the decision of adopting the new doctrine or splitting away from the denomination.

Reverend Michael L. Collins, of University Lutheran in Gainesville, said his congregation is not considering a split.

"This congregation itself is a very open-minded congregation," Collins said. "We have gay and lesbian people who worship here and are in leadership positions as well."

Collins believes the decision came down to an issue of justice and fairness concerning homosexuality in the Christian faith.

But a half-mile north of University sits the First Lutheran Church of Gainesville, led by the Rev. John Roth, where the denominational allegiance is with The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, a doctrine described as conservative to the ELCA's more liberal tendencies.

Along with bans against women in the clergy, First Lutheran does not allow gay men in the clergy, regardless of whether they are celibate.

The main argument against homosexuals boils down to scripture, according to Roth.

"Every passage in the Bible of sexuality outside the bounds of marriage between a man and a woman is not seen in a positive light," Roth said.

Collins believes that any reference concerning it as a sin is a misrepresentation of the scripture.

For churches that implement the new doctrine, like University Lutheran, working with other branches of Lutheran churches might become strained as they continue to drift apart on scripture perception.

UF's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Affairs office hopes for continued progress on this front. Director Andrea Stokes said her office has been trying to find a way to support students who struggle with religion and homosexuality.

Roth said the true message of Christianity is acceptance no matter what the issue, and then God will spark a change within the individual.

"You've got to ask, what is the gospel? Is it merely accepting people how they are, or does it include the growth and transformation of people to how God wants them to be?" Roth asked.

He stressed his church's views on sharing the message of Jesus with anyone regardless of how he or she lives.

"I know how things can be taken and I don't want to demonize anyone," Roth said. "I don't want to slam the door on an opportunity to share Jesus Christ with someone."