Meyer, Gators fans should heed Timberlake's advice

As contemporary poet Justin Timberlake once sang, "What goes around comes around / You should know that.

"Don't want to think about it (no) / Don't want to talk about it."

While I'm sure JT's inspiration was drawn from some girl who did him wrong in the past, he might as well have been talking directly to Florida coach Urban Meyer and the thousands of bloodthirsty Gators fans who will be on hand to witness what will likely be a public shaming of the Volunteers and coach Lane Kiffin on Saturday.

Much like Timberlake, Meyer doesn't want to think about it (no) and certainly doesn't want to talk about it, but eventually, some of these rivalry games have to start going the other way.

Meyer was asked if he thinks the balance of rivalries tends to be cyclical in nature, and if he is at all surprised by the resounding success he has had against Tennessee, Georgia and Florida State during his time in orange and blue.

His response was that of a man without karma on his mind.

"You're asking a lot of questions I don't think about," Meyer said.

And who could blame him?

Since taking over as head coach at Florida, Meyer has gone 11-1 against the three rival schools, with the only loss coming against Georgia in 2007.

The Gators' 2007 59-20 drubbing of the Volunteers was Florida's biggest win in the history of the rivalry. Last season's 49-10 beatdown of Georgia was the worst loss of coach Mark Richt's career and the second biggest margin of victory for UF in the series' history. And the Gators have dismantled the Seminoles by a combined score of 90-27 in the last two meetings.

With recent success like that, I doubt very much that any UF fans are thinking about what might come back around over the next couple of years.

It would be foolish to think the Vols, 'Dawgs and 'Noles will all be down for any significant amount of time, so Florida fans should enjoy Meyer calling timeouts at the end of last year's Florida-Georgia game and whatever comes about in Saturday's second half in retaliation for Kiffin's offseason behavior.

Without question, this is the best time in history to be a Gators fan, but who knows what will happen after Tim Tebow and Brandon Spikes leave Gainesville.

This must be how fans felt about UCLA basketball in the '70s, Miami football in the '80s and Duke basketball in the '90s.

When you're sitting on top of the mountain, it's hard to imagine the long tumble down to the bottom of the slope and the tough climb back to the peak.

For at least the rest of this season, however, Meyer and UF fans have nothing to worry about.

The Gators will, in my opinion, sweep their rivals and cruise through their schedule, yet again finding themselves as one of two teams selected by the BCS to play for a national championship.

But one day, it won't be that way.

And if Meyer is still around, he will be forced to think about the days when games against Tennessee, Georgia and FSU were nothing more than an opportunity for fans to make a killing on betting Florida to cover.

Whenever that time comes, you, the fan, will still be here even if Meyer has since departed.

So act respectfully toward your fallen foes this season, because karma's a female dog (and so is my editor's Puritan censorship).