SG cabinet secretary arrested on DUI charges

A UF Student Government cabinet secretary was arrested early Wednesday morning after police say he was driving under the influence of alcohol.

William Stewart Sedgwick IV, 19, was pulled over near Northwest 13th Street and Northwest 10th Avenue near Applebee's after he turned into an area that was closed for construction, according to a police report.

The Florida Highway Patrol officer who made the initial stop reported that he had to physically remove Sedgwick from his vehicle.

The officer also stated that Sedgwick's breath smelled strongly of alcohol.

Sedgwick failed several field sobriety tests, including following a pen without moving his head and standing on one leg, according to the report.

He was pulled over at about 2:40 a.m. and booked into the Alachua County Jail at about 4:40 a.m.

After arriving at the jail, he refused to give a breath sample three times and was charged with DUI, according to the report.

Sedgwick, a UF marketing junior, is the Finance and Fees cabinet secretary, an unelected position appointed by the Student Body president.

E-mails seeking comment from Sedgwick and Student Body President Jordan Johnson, who appointed him, were not returned Wednesday.