Jacob Smith, president of UF's Students for Change, spent Wednesday morning under a tree discussing health care.

A few yards away, Johnathan Lott attempted to recruit students to join the UF College Republicans.

In the center of the Plaza of the Americas, city and county commissioners endured the heat to speak with students about local government.

The event, Student Government's Politics on the Plaza, aimed to help students become politically involved.

Representatives from 25 UF organizations attended the event, some with conflicting beliefs, but all with the same goal of increasing political participation.

Lott, vice chairman of the UF College Republicans, tried to attract people to the organization's meetings.

"We want students who are involved to help us out with events and discuss their ideas with us," he said.

Members of the UF College Democrats, Students for Change and Students for the Preservation of Freedom gave students suggestions about getting involved in the health care debate, whether they support the public option or not.

Gators for a Sustainable Campus and UF's chapters of Amnesty International and ONE also had representatives at the event.

"I wouldn't have known about all of these organizations if they weren't together at one time," said Rahkiah Brown, an English senior.

Alachua County commissioners Lee Pinkoson, Rodney J. Long and Paula DeLaney cleared up common misconceptions about local government and explained to students why they should be involved.

"It may not be as sexy as the federal government, but nothing pertains to the people here more than the local government," Pinkoson said.

DeLaney explained zoning using a jigsaw puzzle and discussed the importance of taxes in Alachua County.

"I love being invited to speak with UF students because I get to explain what they get in return for the money they spend locally," she said.

Gainesville City Commissioner Craig Lowe discussed his campaign for mayor and the local election in March.

Lowe told students to make sure they are registered to vote in Alachua County.

"Many students think that they don't need to register with their local addresses because they're only going to be here for a few years," he said. "But I tell them to think of it in terms of voting on behalf of those after them."

The Alachua County Supervisor of Elections and Chomp the Vote registered people to vote and gave out change of address forms.