Monday, April 29, 2024

Hunter steps up at defensive tackle for football team

For Florida's Omar Hunter, less is more.

The redshirt freshman is coming off his most productive game as a Gator, logging six tackles including two for a loss.

The difference for the 295-pound defensive tackle? The weight he isn't carrying.

"He put himself in a position, because he worked so hard in the offseason, to get in shape for probably the first time in his life," defensive line coach Dan McCarney said. "He's in really good shape now. He was in ridiculous shape last year at this time."

Hunter came to UF with enough hype to merit coach Urban Meyer calling the nose tackle the Tim Tebow of his recruiting class.

Unlike Tebow, Hunter didn't experience success right away.

He battled through ankle and elbow injuries for much of the early part of the season, and ultimately, it was a bulging disk in his back that put him on the shelf for the year.

"I came (to Florida) in decent shape and then when I got hurt I got in really bad shape because I wasn't able to run or anything," Hunter said.

He ballooned to 330 pounds and had to work hard with strength and conditioning coach Mickey Marotti to get in playing shape for this year.

With starting nose tackle Lawrence Marsh out with an ankle injury, Hunter's hard work has begun to pay off.

Along with Terron Sanders, Jaye Howard and Brandon Antwine, Hunter has worked his way into the rotation at defensive tackle.

Against Arkansas last Saturday, Howard was also held out with an injury, forcing Hunter to play the majority of the snaps alongside Sanders.

"It was great to be around those guys, playing with the defense and being part of (the) team," Hunter said.

Meyer and McCarney heaped praise onto Hunter for getting himself in good enough shape to play for the entire game, something he never would have been able to do a season ago.

In addition to cutting weight, Hunter has gained a reputation as one of the most coachable players on the team, earning him the respect of his teammates.

"There's not a play where he doesn't ask for somebody's help," Sanders said. "He comes to me and asks about a play, or he goes to coach Mac, or he goes to Lawrence Marsh. He's trying to learn as opposed to people hoping that it comes to them. He's out there wanting to get better."