A UF associate anthropology professor charged with cocaine possession for an incident in January has entered into an agreement with the State Attorney's office.

Under the pretrial intervention agreement, Michael Heckenberger must perform 50 hours of community service and take random drug and alcohol screenings, among other penalties.

If he follows the conditions of the 12-month agreement, which was signed last month, the charge will be dropped.

Heckenberger was arrested Jan. 17 after an officer saw him toss a bag into the street, according to a police report.

The substance in the bag tested positive for cocaine, but Heckenberger told police it wasn't his.

He said he was "curious" and wanted to trade it for sexual favors from a man he had been standing with, according to the report.

He was placed on paid leave after the arrest but was reinstated this semester, according to UF spokesman Steve Orlando.

Heckenberger was arrested four days after a judge cut short his probation period for a reckless driving charge.

After being pulled over by an officer in January of 2008, Heckenberger told the arresting officer he had had few beers and refused to perform field sobriety tests or submit a breath sample.

After pleading no contest, he agreed to pay almost $600 in fines and court costs, perform community service and submit to random drug and alcohol tests.