Crist and Rubio speak at GOP fundraiser

Excitement hung in the air, mixing with the smell of beer and barbecue sauce Thursday night at the Ronald Reagan Black Tie and Blue Jeans BBQ.

More than 800 Republicans gathered at Canterbury Equestrian Showplace in Newberry for the event, a fundraiser for the Alachua County Republican Party.

Some were dressed in jackets and ties and some in T-shirts, but nearly all wore blue jeans. Their boots, sneakers and sandals kicked up dust from the dirt in the outdoor arena as they clamored around those running for political office to introduce themselves, stand for a photo or share an opinion.

Gov. Charlie Crist and former Speaker Marco Rubio brought their Senate campaign battle to the barbecue. But instead of bickering, they focused on their platforms and accomplishments and spoke about what they thought America needed.

Alex Burgos, a spokesman for the Rubio campaign, said he believed it was only the second time the candidates have appeared at the same event since announcing their candidacy.

Listen to speakers at the fundraiser: Charlie Crist, Governor of Florida

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am pro life. I am pro gun. I am pro family and I am anti-tax, and that is what the Republican Party stands for and that's what we need to be about."

Marco Rubio, former Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives

"Never have we needed a Republican Party that will stand up to these voices and offer a clear alternative to the American people. It's very simple. We already have a Democratic Party in America. We do not need two Democratic parties in America."

Laura Ingraham, Fox News host

"I am extremely proud to be a member of the Fox news team, because all of the right people hate us. People come up to me saying "Does it bother you that so many people really hate you?" I say "I love it, it makes me feel great."

"Republicans were the facilitators of the evisceration of our free market. That's the tough love."

"[Nancy Pelosi] declared Tuesday was a win a for the Democrats. A- a- a- a- as the speaker of the house, I am so happy that we were victorious last night. I need another injection.'"

Jim Greer, Chairman of the Republican Party of Florida

"To clearly distinguish to the American public, the difference between Republicans and Democrats ... look at their leaders: Ted Kennedy, Jimmie Carter, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Barack Obama. The Republican Party has leaders such as Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan."

"We really can't wait to make a strong presence for Gov. Crist," said Steve Reiss, the chairman of Gators for Charlie Crist. The group had about 30 students at the event.

"I'm really excited to see what Rubio stands for - how he contrasts with Charlie Crist," Reiss said.

Reiss said that he understands people think Crist is the more moderate candidate but that the governor has a proven record of being fiscally conservative, strong on Second Amendment rights and tough on crime.

Earlier this week, Crist told CNN host Wolf Blitzer he didn't endorse the federal stimulus package, but because he knew it would pass, he wanted to utilize it to benefit Floridians.

"I don't like the stimulus that actually passed. I would have had less spending in it," the governor said in an interview before his speech. "But once you realize it's coming, I think what you have the duty and the need to do is to fight for our fellow Floridians."

His Republican opponent, Marco Rubio, who served as speaker of the house from 2006 to 2008, has been working to brand himself as the true conservative in the race. He's come out hard against Crist's decision to support the stimulus.

"The truth is that's printed money and that's borrowed money," Rubio said about the stimulus funds. "That's money that graduates of the University of Florida are going to have to work their whole life to have to pay off in higher taxes, higher interest rates and less opportunity."

The crowd went wild when Rubio took the stage to give an opening speech.

When Crist took the stage, the audience also stood and cheered, but jeers about his support for Obama could be heard in the crowd.

The governor gave examples and anecdotes of his record on cutting taxes, education and the Second Amendment to emphasize his conservative credentials.

After Crist left the stage, Laura Ingraham gave a speech about America and Republican values. Ingraham, who hosts her own radio show and sometimes fills in for Bill O'Reilly on Fox News, started her speech by making fun of liberals and the president.

Proceeds from the event will fund the Alachua County Republican Party's activities throughout the year. Tickets were $45 for students and cost between $65 and $125 for non-students.