Downtown festival to feature 250 artists

Downtown Gainesville is trading traffic for pedestrians and paintings this weekend for the 28th annual Downtown Festival and Art Show.

Organizers expect about 100,000 people to visit the outdoor art gallery over the course of the festival, which will be held Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The festival will showcase the work of about 250 artists, chosen from a pool of more than 650 people.

“Gainesville is a culturally enriched community that embraces the arts,” said Linda Piper, events coordinator for the City of Gainesville Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs. “There is so much to see, I suggest you plan to spend the whole day.”

This year, Sunshine Artist Magazine ranked the festival No. 27 on its list of the nation’s top 200 art shows. The list is compiled and ranked by artists, who vote on which festivals are most profitable.

The downtown festival has been on the list since 1996 and has risen in the rankings over the past decade. This is the third year in a row that it is in the top 30.

“When we were in the top 80, and the top 60, that was amazing. Twenty-seven is a dream come true,” Piper said.

As it has grown in popularity, the downtown festival has become increasingly competitive.

“I’ve had to turn so many people down. Everyone wants a piece of the action,” Piper said. “Fifteen years ago there were 160 booth spots and only 165 artists that applied.”

Preference is given to local artists, and during the selection process, those from Florida are given an extra point and Gainesville artists are given two extra points.

“[The festival] is a way to showcase local art; that’s the whole reason why it began,” Piper said.

Artists of all media will display paintings, sculptures, ceramics, jewelry, photography, woodwork and other arts and crafts.

Visitors can also expect live music and entertainment on three stages, a hands-on activity center where children can complete art projects, 50 booths from nonprofit organizations, a rock climbing wall and plenty of food vendors.

Piper said the historic downtown setting is what makes the event so special.

“I’ve been to many art shows in the state of Florida, and what makes us so unique is our venue,” she said.

“The festival is so large that it must be held when there’s an away Gator [football] game, or there wouldn’t be enough hotel rooms,” Piper said.

Visit go-rts.com for information on how the festival will affect the bus system.