Media overblows Spikes’ eye-gouging situation

When Brandon Spikes was done explaining why he wanted to have his suspension for the Vanderbilt matchup lengthened from a half to the full game Wednesday, a smattering of reporters thanked him for his time.

I felt like we should have apologized too, on behalf of the media at large.

It's not like missing the Vandy game really matters, and that's probably what the suspension should have been in the first place for his eye-gouging attempt on Georgia running back Washaun Ealey.

The Gators don't need Spikes to win that one, so why not just play it safe?

But before Spikes spoke, Urban Meyer talked about how all the negative publicity has weighed on his stud linebacker, and I believe him.

Spikes looked genuinely sorry and perhaps even a little ashamed, and he was worried about being a distraction to his teammates.

This is where I feel like the media owes Spikes something.

Sure, what he did was bad. I don't mean to diminish that. He broke a rule and should be punished accordingly.

What I have a problem with is the lengths that some have gone to tear Spikes down for this.

ESPN's Mike Golic called Spikes' action, "one of the biggest chicken-bleep things I've ever seen in my life, ever. Ever."

Granted, that was on the radio so it has to be exaggerated a little to have any effect, but come on.

Golic played football, so he knows what happens in dog piles.

In his autobiography, former NFL linebacker Bill Romanowski talks about intentionally stepping on an opponent's man parts, and later in that game, trying to pull the ball away from a running back in a dogpile.

"All I could get a good grip on was his finger," Romanowski wrote. "So I just grabbed it and crrraaaccckkk. Broke it like a chicken bone. I could hear him scream in agony."

I get that the intent of what Spikes did could have been just as bad as what Romo was aiming for, but the point is that this isn't a special case.

As Ealey himself said this week, this stuff happens all the time.

What makes Spikes different is that he was caught on camera - from a great angle, too - and seeing that in slow motion can shock the conscience.

But there's another factor here.

Every week this season, Florida has been surrounded by a new cloud of speculation, suspicion, praise or criticism.

Reporters are experts on something new each time, and this is driven by what we all perceive as the need for more and more content to satisfy fans.

After the Georgia game, I figured everyone would be satisfied, and things would be quiet for a week. But we just can't let that happen.

Once Spikes stuck his hand inside Ealey's facemask and rummaged around in there like he was looking for treats in a Halloween candy jar, we were off to the races.

It's time to freak out.

ESPN's Pat Forde went so far as to say Meyer's one-half punishment sends a message that, "Nothing, not even thuggish behavior, will be allowed to substantively interfere with our pursuit of a repeat national title."

That's absurd. Forde even says in his column the suspension was weak because the Commodores aren't good, so he's essentially arguing with himself.

If the Gators don't need Spikes to win Saturday, what would letting him play in the second half have to do with a repeat national title?

Nothing. He was just taking a more extreme angle to get some attention.

I've always had a hard time understanding why some coaches and players dislike the media.

By and large, we're gentle and fun-loving people, and you'd think we'd all get along since our lives revolve around the same subject, right?

Now I'm starting to get sick of the media too. I even hate myself a little.

Don't get me wrong, what Spikes did is terrible whether it happens all the time or not. It makes matters worse that the game was basically over when he did it. This wasn't to gain a competitive advantage or anything, it was just stupid.

But that shouldn't give us license to run wild with it.

I'll admit I've written some stupid things in the past because I thought it would make people read and garner some attention. It's hard not to on occasion.

But it makes me sick to read this out-of-control garbage now, and I'm going to do my level best to stay above the fray.

I can't wait to see what storyline we cook up for next week.